Developer Terms and Conditions General Discussions Projects and Ideas UPC scan option to help identify new items

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Joe_K
    Participant

This may be in the works, or irrelevant to the way things will be added to the database, but I wanted to throw it out there in case it would be helpful.  For the purpose of adding new items (foods) to the database could the mobile application use a Universal Product Code (barcode) scanner feature?  I could see it being helpful; the user scans a food product (& possibly some non-foods such as paints and textiles), if it is unknown they could then scan the UPC to add that info to the spectral data for the database.  The server side could then lookup the nutritional information (or materials) of that product.

Hagai
    Keymaster

Thanks Joe! I sent your idea to our product team for prioritization.

Joe_K
    Participant

Great.  I am glad I could help.  I am looking forward to scanning everything and helping build the database.

Scott
    Participant

The lookup, of course, would be just be the official information, unless and until an approved SCiO developer provided a lab analysis.

I agree that this would be a nice feature; it would help identify under-analyzed products. Of course some products wouldn’t be appropriate for analysis, but the SCiO app could be used to track purchases or items of interest, etc.; a back-door usage of SCiO.

–Scott.

icewing@gmail.com
    Participant

Just a thought on this…

You need to be able to have the date of the barcode scan (which, I’m curious, could the Scio Sensor do that?  Normally it’s done by a laser and an optical receiver or a camera sensor…) and the barcode itself recorded, along with the time\date stamp.

Additionally, the barcode\UPC likely doesn’t change when the ingredients list changes, so it’s not reliable indefinitely when it comes to matching up a particular sensor data return to a product.

Ayelet
    Keymaster

Hi all,

Thanks for the ideas, they will be transferred to our product team.

Ayelet

The Consumer Physics Team

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.