Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    king_tut
    Participant

I’m intrigued by the possibility of using the SCIO for astronomical NIR spectroscopy – identifying the makeup of a star by the NIR emissions from it. I was wondering:-

– what are the requirements for the light entering the sensor?For example, does x mm^2 of light have to fall at it, from 90 degrees to the surface of the sensor?

– If focusing on a star using a telescope, where should the focal point of the light be in relation to the lens of the SCIO? (I’d presume it would be in the middle of the lens itself).

– How much NIR light is required – obviously the brighter a star is, the more likely this will work.
    – Is there any way to turn off the SCIO NIR light source?

Obviously, astronomical measurements would be greatly effected by water vapour in the air, but at the same time the spectral characteristics of major stars are very well known so it should be possible to remove that variable. For more info on the subject, see http://www.gemini.edu/sciops/instruments/nearir-resources

Hagai
    Keymaster

If I understand your question correctly, you are looking to use SCiO with a telescope. Unfortunately, attaching SCiO to a telescope to scan stars will not be feasible with SCiO. While we have not tested these thoroughly, we believe that SCiO’s NIR spectroscopy technology is most likely not suitable for this use.

SCiOs scanning distance is up to about 5-15 mm (“0.2-0.68”) from the sample and illuminates a 20mm (“0.8) diameter spot.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.