Developer Terms and Conditions The Development Hardware Scanning messy small samples

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

So one of the things I have been working on would fit inside the pill scanning accessory, but it has a high probability of messing it up.  So what do you use as a background for your sample?  I learned the hard way (trial by fire) that if you make something to hold the sample, the materials of the holder show up in the scans.  (off topic : ideas for web app).  There are mathematical ways to filter this “noise” but I’m old school photography.  “Set the shot up right the first time and you won’t need those fancy tools”..

So… the best surfaces that I seem to get a very low noise with are black velvet or black eyeglass cloth and the back of a CD.  I think the CD is scattering the reference scans allowing only light from the sample to bounce back.

Wouldn’t mind some confirmations of what I think I see and what your using?

Hagai
    Keymaster
    We recommend to use the accessory – it will give the best results.
    Otherwise, use a black surface. One of the ways to test for a good background material, is to scan it with SCiO and make sure no signal is received (reflection should be less than 1%, with no sharp peaks).
    Using a CD is not advisable since it breaks the light into its components and sends each “color” in a different angle, some of it may be sensed by SCiO and disrupt the signal.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.