Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anybody else using this for harm reduction purposes? As in the identification of illicit drugs?

FunnBoiled
    Participant

Hiya Johnboy,

This is the main reason I invested in a Scio Dev kit. It’s something I’m intending to put a serious amount of work into as I think it can really change the world of Harm Reduction.
    My Scio arrived a couple of days ago so I’m just starting out with this project. Currently I have no experience developing and have a rudimentary understanding of the system/processes behind this technology but luckily I have some amazing people around me who are keen to get involved. I would love to work with others around the world to make this a reality.
    Let’s do it!

I have also brought a Scio Dev kit for harm reduction. What materials are you going to be scanning? are you also going to be scanning for rough purity and common cuts?

FunnBoiled
    Participant

I’m still thinking about how to build a good database. I’d like to get data from proper labs who have access or can identify a pure sample, so there is a base data set for all substances to compare against as accessing pure samples illicitly is practically impossible.

From there, yes I would like to build data for common cutting agents & process impurities to determine sample purity.

In terms of what substances I’d be looking at: I’d start with MDMA and it’s numerous impersonators as well as the many things commonly found in “ecstasy”.

That’s a big task in itself, but the data would be applicable to a wider application of identifying almost any drug.

In theory, these should be fairly simple samples to analyse as, with mdma for example, it’s only one chemical, rather than a plant which may contain thousands of different chemicals. Right?

I’m only just starting to get my head around this device so there’s a long way to go before I actually start building a database & model.

Ayelet
    Keymaster

Hi FunnBoiled,

Indeed the data should be taken from proper labs who have access or can identify pure samples.

Notice that as some substances in drugs may be found in a compressed powder form, it is quite possible that SCiO may miss the active ingredient if that part of the sample wasn’t scanned.

As with all potential applications, feasibility testing would need to be completed along with development of the corresponding molecular sensing models and a corresponding app.

Let us know when you make some progress with collecting your database, we can review your data collections and give you some feedback and recommendations.

Ayelet,

The Consumer Physics Team

john
    Participant

Please see my notes in this thread -> https://195.201.255.233/forums/topic/mdma/

This endeavor fails feasibility until the SDK is capable of returning a confidence number of how well a scan matches a built model.  You can have the greatest model in the world built around MDMA, but if a user scans a banana the SDK is basically unable to tell the application that the provided sample does not match any of the loaded models.  It’s pointless to proceed until this is in place, unfortunately.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by john.
    • This reply was modified 8 years ago by john.
    somnitek
    Participant

Hello Everybody!

I just purchased the SCiO primarily with this exact purpose in mind.  Not sure what all will be required, but I am intending to develop something to identify street samples of Methamphetamine, black tar Heroin, and Crack/Powdered Cocaine for purity, as well as adulterants. I understand someone will need to provide pure reference samples, and if that person happens to see this message, PLEASE contact me at somnitek@gmail.com! I really, really would like to talk to or work with you! I do have some background as an amateur chemist, and let’s just say that a murky associate, we’ll call him Mr. S, is more than able to provide a plethora of varying street samples over time.

Let me be the first to admit I really have a limited idea of what I’m getting into here, but I am motivated.  I have had a number of friends die from heroin overdoses (partly due to varying purity levels), and my own brother who has a horrendous Meth problem recently went into acute liver failure after he relapsed, due in large part to the adulterants in a recent batch going around my area.  He’s recovering alright now, and hopefully he’ll get another big chunk of clean time at least out of this.  The need for this feature is definitely there.  I very much want to see this function fully developed and fleshed out, so please, if this is your interest too, let’s talk!

I’m not a programmer, although I am very willing to learn if necessary, along with any other necessary skills. I’m currently studying Information Technology right now, so I do have a decently strong tech background, and like I said, I love to study Chemistry in my free time, so if there’s any way to contribute, even if it’s just adding scan profiles to a database, I’m all in!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.