Developer Terms and Conditions General Discussions Projects and Ideas Geographic identification agricultural products

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Khoa
    Participant

I am interested in geographic identification some common agricultural products (apple, potato, onion, rice, coffee etc).  I remember it was labeled as “possible” during SCiO Updates email in the past.

I hope Hagai can provide some insights 😉

Thanks.

Luis Cordova
    Participant

I think geographic identification is done genetically. I don’t think the SCIO would be able to test for geographic identification because it is NIR. I could be wrong.

Khoa
    Participant

Luis,

Attached is an interesting paper. Of course the NIR equipment used in their work is lab-rated. Maybe Hagai may have some  comments on this.

Cheers.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Luis Cordova
    Participant

That paper was about coffee quality I didn’t see that they tried to find out what location it came from. You might be able to find a contaminate or something that is specific for a region I think it will be very difficult.

rejsharp
    Participant

I am sure that this will be a complex project, as biological samples vary in chemical composition with lifestage, age and storage conditions, as well as growing location, and maybe weather during their growth.
    I think it will be worth exploring, even if we only end up showing that a potato is not a parsnip https://195.201.255.233/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Chris Smith
    Participant

I imagine indexing Honey would be an extensive work. I wonder how age plays with honey? Scanning a batch of ‘local honey’ learning of the types of nectar harvested by the bees and what flower pollen may be sprinkled inside is something that might lead to fight their extinction or improve human health.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Chris Smith.
    Khoa
    Participant

I did some research and found that using NIR technique for geographic origin assessment is actually possible for cheese, rice wine and olive oil. However, a lab-rated NIR equipment was used in their work. The big question is can we use SCiO for the same purpose? On the bright side, we may have the support of the community for collecting data and advanced chemometrics tools for analyzing the spectra.

Hagai
    Keymaster

I am interested in geographic identification some common agricultural products (apple, potato, onion, rice, coffee etc). I remember it was labeled as “possible” during SCiO Updates email in the past. I hope Hagai can provide some insights ;) Thanks.

Dear Khoa,

I’m afraid it’s highly unlikely to detect geography with SCiO because I suspect that the differences are very subtle.

That said, it might work if there is a significant difference in the growing environment that greatly affects their BRIX levels, for example, compared to other regions.

Joan
    Participant

I was also hoping that Geographic identification would be possible.  We need information that is being denied to us about our food.

I’ve read that it is possible to identify where honey comes from if it contains pollen.  Seems that honey from China is coming into the U.S. through other countries and it was discovered through identifying the pollen.  Then the pollen was filtered so that the country of origin could not be detected.  There is a lot of deception going on with our food.  It would be great if the SCIO developers could work on this.

Scott
    Participant

Probably geotags and other info should be included with all scans destined for public use, in case there is a geographical difference. For example, Coca-Cola will vary by region.

–Scott.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.