Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Todd
    Participant

I’m reading through much of the material on the developers page, and I’m wondering where exactly Consumer Physics “expects” this technology to go, say, in the 5 to 10 year range.

I understand this is very new technology in this format, so it’s quite limited, relatively speaking to something on the order of a full-sized, professional grade spectrometer. As of now it seems rather limited, and more or less a novelty item to impress friends with. Am I wrong in that assumption?

Again, where do you folks “expect” the technology to lead? Will a person one day be able to scan their inner arm and get a sugar count, or a blood alcohol count? Will a doctor be able to scan an unconscious patient and identify drugs or alcohol levels, and what type of drugs? Will an engineer be able to scan a bit of “dull” metal and get it’s chemical makeup in order to make a duplicate metal? What about parsing a corporate secret recipe in the food industry? Such as what, and how much of each ingredient exists in a particular food item by percentage?

Again, just some questions on the future of this technology. I want to purchase the developers kit, but I’m a little hesitant about it’s usefulness at this point. Though I’ve seen it scan several food items and return nutritional information, the label on the box would seem sufficient, and any nutritional information chart can give you that same info about fruits and vegetables.

Is there a good purpose for this item at it’s current level of technology?

Finally, can someone explain the benefit of “development” if the SCIO can scan, and give reults, what would you do with an app? Please explain in lamens terms.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Todd.
    • This topic was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Todd.
    Ayelet
    Keymaster

Hi Todd,

First, our vision is to implement SCiO as an embedded sensor in many consumer devices, including smart phones.

SCiO is on par with high-end spectrometers working in the same spectral range (and even shows better performance in some cases).

Our consumer app which will be released in the near future, will include:

– A number of food nutrition analysis applets, for example analyzing the nutritional values of dairy and meat products.

– Identification applets, such as the ability to identify and analyze pills.

– An application that allows you to work with the spectrometer by collecting material data and building analysis applets for your own materials.

After the first version is released, new applications will be developed and released regularly. Some of the applications planned for development include an evaluation of produce, sugar and ethanol content in drinks. At the same time, we will continue to broaden our existing application databases, such as increasing the number of pills (which already stands at +/- 250 OTC pills). Additional applications are also under research, such as ones for breads and body fat percentage.

Finally, it should be noted that as s a developer, you can create your own mobile apps that uses SCiO. DietSensor is just one example of 3rd party application which is based on our sensor and platforms. Check out:  www.dietsensor.com

I hope that it was helpful.

Ayelet,

The Consumer Physics Team

Hi Ayelet,

You mentioned that “Our consumer app which will be released in the near future”; when do you expect that this will be released.

In your promo-movie is mentioned that the Scio-sensor will be included with several applications; the only application I’ve received is the “Hard Cheese”-topic. Where can I get the other applications?

Greetz Jasper

Ayelet
    Keymaster

Hi Jasper,

The consumer app is expected to be released in the coming months.

This app will be separated from SCiO lab app, and will offer the mentioned above applets.

SCiO lab app contains by default the ‘Hard Cheese’ collection for training purposes only, as an example of a properly sized data collection.

I hope it’s clear now.

Ayelet,

The Consumer Physics Team

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.