Developer Terms and Conditions The Development Hardware Additional scanning aids

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    rejsharp
    Participant

The tablets scanning cup is beautifully made, the magnetic holder is a brilliant feature.
    I do find that larger tablets like to sit at an angle – but it does not seem to disturb the results much.
    May I suggest two additional scanning aids – similar to the cup for tablets.
    a) General use: with open bottom, this would guarantee a constant distance between SCiO and the sample. It may also help with blocking out sunlight, maybe a rubbery foot for uneven samples? It would need to be shorter than the tablet cup to get the distance right.
    b) Liquids cup: with correct reflective surface underneath, (white or mirror?) this may need to be taller than the tablets cup.
    Both a) and b) would need to be washable.
    If the sizes are too close to the tablets cup, then a different colour would prevent accidental confusion.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by rejsharp.
    Hagai
    Keymaster

Thanks so much for the feedback :good:
    We are indeed working on a liquid cup (a liquid jig) and are looking into creating an open bottom accessory for use outdoors. Will keep you posted.

Hagai

Khoa
    Participant

This is exactly what I need to improve the performance of SCiO. Keep me in the loop too.

I made a quick .STL file with an open bottom to keep my scanning distance exactly the same for a set of scans.  I plan on making a few more at different distances so I can scan the same sample at multiple distances.

The file should be able to be printed by any 3D printer.

Ok, so I can’t attach the .STL

My quick design for a open bottom gadget works pretty well.  The scans I am getting are very consistent as long as I don’t move the device.  It holds the scanning distance to a constant and I know I won’t smear the sensor with a slight bump.

I printed this gadget with white ABS plastic.  The provided cup is really interesting to look at, there is a reflective surface on the sides and white? on the bottom.  This surface looks very golden to me but polished copper could look very similar.  What is it?

There is a paint that will dry to very close the reflectiveness of either gold or silver.  My other option would be to use aluminum foil to coat the inside.

Any advice?

Oh, I forgot to mention my scanning distance is 20mm if that changes anything…

rejsharp
    Participant

<br>
    I printed this gadget with white ABS plastic.
    <br>

Can you 3D print in a matt black plastic? That would absorb some of the stray reflected light from irregularly shaped samples.
    I think the recommended distance is 10 – 15 mm.

Good luck with your efforts.
    Maybe you can attach a photo?

Roger

I can print in black by buying black ABS but the provided cup bottom is white and sides are more golden.

Its NOT pretty, but I am putting a small amount of sample in it about 5mm thick, I like big blueberries 😉

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    rejsharp
    Participant

Hey Redwingii – it looks pretty to me!
    I guess 1241 is the bottom, and can be filled with pastes / sauces etc? and then 1242 sits on top to provide distance?

I hope CP can give some advice on reflective surfaces. I think that their sample cup has special floor and walls because the samples are smaller than the illuminated area.

You give me a strong feeling of the “Must Haves” for a 3D printer!
    Roger

Definitely need to re-work the inside walls, I am getting a residual ABS signature contaminating my samples. :negative:

rejsharp
    Participant

Hi Redwingii:
    Did you progress any with your scanning aid distance piece?
    I see that CP are looking at making one also.
    I have tried some photographic black-out cloth, it does work shielding the scan from bright sunlight, but is a bit fiddly as it likes to curl up. Then you need four hands! One for SCiO, one for smartphone, one for sample, and one for the shield.

I am sure that there are enough clever engineers amongst us to create a solution.
    Roger

Thought I would share,

I’ve been scanning liquids and am waiting on a PTFE container. In the meantime I am using a ceramic ramekin. I had the same issues so I printed up a lid. It is a really nice fit, I surprised myself as although I’m pretty good on the printer it’s only the third thing I’ve drawn from scratch. Anyone can have a copy of the file, just ask.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    rejsharp
    Participant

PFB:  Good Work – I was looking for an excuse to buy a 3-D printer, THANKS!
    What is the OD of your creation?

HI REJSHARP,

the OD is 68mm but you can, of course change to anything you want. If you need something made let me know I might be able to knock one out. Buying a 3D printer is not an easy (or cheap) undertaking despite what they would have you believe. The more consumer orientated, the more restricted they are in usefulness. And lets not mention drawing in 3d is not a basic skill regardless of what package you use, tinkering is fine but creating something you exactly want takes time and a steep learning curve. Downloading prints and fiddling with them is easy. If you are prepared to put the hours in on both the drawing and a printer then it’s rewarding. I have a giant delta printer, a heavily modified boots industries BIv2.5. Great ideas, badly executed and rubbish company to deal with (took 6 months to manufacture and 12 months to deliver-long kickstarter story). Still, using other resources, upgrading key bits and advice from some very helpful people it’s now singing and can print a giant 300mm diameter 400mm tall. I can print ABS+PLA, I could probably print just about any thermoplastic with a modified head and an extruder to make filament, but that’s another project (packaging to filament). I’m in the UK. If I was going for one now I would buy someone else’s abandoned project (super cheap on ebay), there are many people who give up with them when they can’t print a full colour boba fett 10 minutes after taking it out of the package.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.